Someone brought in ice cream cones decorated as trees, so of COURSE we had to use one for our house! It was fun to see her interact with her friends, too, and watch their end-of-the-day routine.
We also have created a family tradition of making Christmas cookies from scratch. Somehow we forgot to get pictures of it last year, so we were all over the camera this time!
Even Olivia got into it!
She was very meticulous when decorating the cookies. She even helped eat them this year!
Last year we purchased a membership to the Children's Museum in St. Paul, but at this point Madeline was getting a little bored with it. Once Caleb began his vacation from work, he took Madeline to the Science Museum instead, for a nice Daddy-Daughter-Date. She has told us several times at this point that she wants "to be a scientist, like Daddy," when she grows up, and she's been really interested in preschool-appropriate science experiments. She LOVED her time at the Science Museum!
Caleb said her favorite part was the musical stairs. With each step up or down, a higher or lower note would play. She ran up and down those stairs so many times! It's definitely where she spent the most time.
She loves Daddy-Daughter-Dates!
...And then, a week before Christmas, we had the "Perler Bead Incident of 2014." As I mentioned in the last post, Madeline has been getting into Perler Beads (aka Fusion Beads), and has created many things.
These are most, but not all, of her creations. We found instructions for Elsa and Belle (upper left) but discouraged any more princesses since they use a LOT of beads.
Perler Beads are those tiny plastic beads that come with special pegboard, and you arrange them to make different designs and then iron them. The tops melt and fuse together.
( I flipped them over, so the melted part is on the bottom)
They are TINY. They are less than .25" tall, and this kid manipulates them with just her finger tips (Caleb and I have to use tweezers, they're too small for our fingers). She continues to amaze us with her fine motor skills!
Well, we've had them in the house for several months, and there really hasn't been any incident (until Dec). Olivia is old enough that she doesn't put toys in her mouth anymore, and aside from occasionally bumping a work-in-progress Olivia didn't show much interest in them.
One evening Madeline had just finished another creation, and I started getting the girls ready for bed. (Caleb was at praise team practice, so I was going solo) Olivia started complaining about her nose and shoving her finger up there, so I took a quick look and just gave her a tissue. A few stories later, she was still complaining, and I just had this thought: Is something UP her nose?? Back in the summer or fall, she had put two peas up her nose (one per side), but we thought she had learned her lesson.
I looked INTO her nose... and saw a perler bead. I fetched the tweezers and successfully removed it. Yikes, kid! Anyway, it occurred to me that she MIGHT have put more up there, so I grabbed a flashlight and pulled ANOTHER bead out. Wanting to be sure, I carefully looked again, and saw just a glimpse of a THIRD. Thank God I was able to remove that one, too! I used my otoscope to look even deeper, but didn't see any more.
Now, whenever I see her shoving her finger up her nose and hear her complain, "nose!" I can't help but wonder - is there something NEW up there??


No comments:
Post a Comment