Well, last Saturday I went ice fishing for the first time! Caleb has gone several times in the last year (once or so last winter, and 4-5 times this winter) and has discovered that he really likes it. Last weekend the weather was pretty warm (right around freezing - yay!), plus Caleb's friends/coworkers had rented a hut for the occasion, so I decided to give it a shot. Unfortunately, my camera was dead, but a friend took a few pics and I hope to have them up soon.
It was fun, despite the fact that no one caught anything worth keeping! I caught a fish - according to Caleb, the biggest one of the group - and Caleb caught two or three, but everything was so small we kept throwing them back in. Regardless, anytime someone caught something, there was a big hoopla. All in all, maybe 10 or 12 people came and left while we were there. Not everyone wanted to be in the hut, so there was always just enough room inside for me to stay warm. =) For those who have never gone ice fishing (and I think that's most), you actually DRIVE out onto the lake (the ice is a good two feet or so thick, at least) and you either huddle around a few holes that you drill or you rent a hut. The hut is small but cozy, and insulated with benches along the walls. The one we were in had five holes (or was it six?) drilled in the ice, and the hut has pre-cut holes in the floor (also insulated!) for easy access. There's a little stove in there to provide extra heat and to cook food - like how we had chili! Yum...
Otherwise, things are going pretty well. Caleb is keeping very busy at church, alwasy either in the praise team (he plays bass guitar and sings on occasion) or with the kids in children's church, or like yesterday when he did BOTH! I am the nursery coordinator (or administrator, whatever the title is!) and have been getting lots of positive feedback. We have about 7-8 regular babies, and about 5-6 regular toddlers, plus any who are visiting or checking out our church. We'll be getting a new baby in May, plus mine in August! One of our babies is due to graduate to the toddler room, since she'll be 2 in March. Fun stuff!
Caleb is thoroughly enjoying work. He comes home with lots of ideas and is always excited to go back the next morning. I'm so glad to see that he's starting to get the recognition he deserves, especially from the guys who are higher up. What a blessing! I'm still nannying part time and working a few shifts at Bed, Bath, & Beyond (B3 I call it), though it's not ideal. It's important to save money, though, and I want to do my part.
The pregnancy is going pretty well. I have a definite swell below my belly button, but it's not really noticeable to the eye - I just used to be flatter down there than I am now! Clothes are a bit more snug as a result, and I have been LOVING my yoga pants! So comfy... The nausea is still a factor, although not as bad as it was a month ago. I still have to eat something every few hours or I'll get sick, which means that I wake up hungry and nauseous many nights and have to go get a snack. B6 is helpful though, as is 1/2 a tablet of Unisom when it gets bad. Again, I'm so blessed that I found something that helps! (Again, I'm sorry, Mom!)
When we get our scanner hooked up and working, I hope to upload a picture of my 6-week ultrasound. Nothing is recognizable - Thumper was the size of a grain of rice then - but it's still neat! In the meantime, I'm adding another favorite "example picture" of what Thumper looks like now at 12 weeks. It's amazing - all vital organs have developed, reflexes have started and fingers and toes flex independently, the baby even responds when I rub my tummy (though I can't feel it yet) - and Thumper's only the size of a lemon! Wow...

No comments:
Post a Comment